Sunday, February 15, 2009

Digesting Pop Culture Junk Food

OK, so America is a neat place. We have a wonderful higher education system. Compared to the world as a whole, our laws are fairly progressive. We are the nation of Edith Wharton, jazz music, Langston Hughes, Barack Obama and countless amazing events in history and pop culture. However, in Spain, I don't miss any of those things. You know what I miss?


I miss American trash culture. I miss awful, lowest-common-denominator television, suburbs, mind numbing pop music and the Olive Garden. Therefore, when I get really homesick, I don't go searching to watch Gone With the Wind, I go for bootleg reruns of Ace of Cakes, The Soup and every single Andy Samberg video ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUjx4_X1qA). I suppose it could worse, I could be watching Gossip Girl, but even so, I think it is really ironic that the things I miss most about my home country are some of those that I considered most embarrassing while I was still there.

1 comment:

  1. I miss watching Tom Hanks do his thing with you. When you get back I promise we'll watch 8 strait hours of Tom Hanks movies, starting with The Money Pit and ending with A League of their Own. Therefore exnaying all that Academy Award winning business and getting strait down to the nitty-gritty.

    ReplyDelete